A great article here inspired some introspection. The following were sticky:
- Admit you own too many clothes.
- Embrace the idea of one.
- Quality over quantity.
All of the bullets were great, but one can only work on ‘so much’ at a time.
I do own quite a lot – the upside is that Bambina can wear much these days – the downside is clutter and wrinkles. I do not like to iron. At all. 😐
The idea of 1 -> a new way of framing ownership and shopping.
- 1 black bootie
- 1 grey bootie
- 1 tan bootie
- 1 saddle bootie
- 1 harness boot
- Perhaps this isn’t in the right spirit lol 🙂
- Need to analyze where this will be applied.
Quality has been my focus lately…getting the thing…vice a substitute that doesn’t satisfy. Substitutes don’t bring satiety and this turns into more stop-gap purchases that don’t get worn or one time wears. Quality ensures infrequent purchases as it seldom comes cheaply. Do I really want that to give up the dollars? Will I get my money’s worth? Being real axes many.
Express tees are the best example – they pill like no other 😐
SO, if I am to embrace the idea of one – what does that mean? I know full well I won’t just have one pair of this or that! Or does it…changes must be made but not so drastically that they aren’t sustainable.
Where I can apply fully:
- Colorful handbags
- Colorful shoes
- Extremely expensive items
- Colorful coats/jackets
- Blazer that fits well
- Items that are needed consistently but not worn frequently – skirts, slacks, heels
- Phone cases
Where I should modify then apply:
- Shoes – limit redundancy within categories like booties, knee boots, OTK boots, level of primness or ruggedness; sneakers for activity – HIIT, lifting, running, casual
- Necklaces – I don’t need duplicates in different colors…I really don’t need any jewels unless they are semi-precious 🙂
- Variety within a kind – i.e. coats — weather in my locale is random…kinda cold to bitterly cold…then warm to hot then 7th circle hot.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want…I tell myself this on the big things – jobs, homes, and other big provision items. But why not meditate on that for all that shopping too? If I am to have an item, He won’t fail me…He hasn’t in the past. Sometimes it was very obviously from His hand.
Confession -> I like having enough to delay laundry day – for good reasons [truly busy] and bad ones [truly lazy] -> a time management issue I’ve had since college! Today I was convicted about excess just for the sake of putting off laundry. Time is a gift and the bottom line is that I need to be a better steward of that too. I have the same 24 hours in a day as any other industrious and efficient person! Convenience shouldn’t be the reason for excessive consumerism. That has to stop – and in a year, I want to see progress…and even more in five years. <- purpose of this little blog.
Praise Report -> Banana is having a sale on the sale items today – I closed my tabs without checking out. I feel the Lord helping me to not shop.