Perfection is boring…sterile looking…uninspired. I loathe matchy-matchy on myself.
jux·ta·po·si·tion — ˌjəkstəpəˈziSH(ə)n/ — noun
- the fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect.“the juxtaposition of these two images”
I love contrast. I hate being labeled and assigned outfits.
- The prissy girl with tattoos.
- Rugged boots with an otherwise girly outfit.
- The tiny girl that is very strong.
- Moto jackets and pearls.
- Leather and lace.
- Studded jacket with dainty pumps.
- Flowers and combat boots.
- Chambray and sequins.
- Dresses and superstars.
- Plaid and glitter.
- Darth Vader in rhinestones!
- Gritty tees and heels.
Contrast, in the way I am thinking, defies stereotypes. It also requires thought and creativity. I don’t like being boxed more than necessary. Because you are this then you must also be that. UM NO. I will be whoever I wish [or is it whomever?]. I’m not just one thing…I am many things. Different is good!
This little bit of rebellion stems from despising being told what to wear by others. Give me an unnecessary uniform – I’ll make the giver intensely hate having done so while following every single asinine rule given. I am just that way -> I express myself through my clothes most days. It will be appropriate and in order but also distinctly me. I value modesty and appropriateness but that doesn’t mean dowdy, frumpy or ugly. -> end rant 🙂
Rather than shop…and it is challenging with so many great sales (Ann Taylor is the on through Friday and I am resisting but they have pink suede pumps and an all-season black skirt I kinda want)…today’s exercise focuses on how to make a uniform not look sterile -> I have a plan -> I am excited. [insert hand rubbing and maniacal laughter ascending in volume]
As there are no specifically assigned items/brands – only colors and fit/length…following the rules means I can express myself via:
- Jewelry -> BLING
- Hair-> extensions, color, accessories
- Great fitting uniform items
- Makeup -> eye liner
- Nail polish
- Add a tie or sash in the appropriate colors
- Bold items in the assigned colors and of the appropriate fit/length -> huge peplum or butterfly sleeves 🙂
- Texture and sheen
Note to self -> perspective is everything…don’t get angry, it clouds your thinking and you miss stuff -> like making a uniform stunning will flex creativity and be a good practice.
Style Goal 1 -> do something, at least slightly, different each time.
Style Goal 2 -> create a capsule of over-the-top but uniform-compliant items. I’ve got the goods anyway, may as well start a collection.
Happy Friday indeed!